Bible List of the Twelve Disciples of Jesus Christ
Bible Summary. The names of the twelve disciples of Jesus Christ are listed in four places in the Bible (Matthew 10:2-4, Mark 3:16-19, Luke 6:12-19, Acts 1:13). For the most part, the names are the same with minor differences due to various uses of first or family names as well as the use of nicknames at various times. The Greek word for disciple is "mathetes" meaning "learner""follower". Early in his ministry, Jesus chose the twelve disciples to follow him and become "fishers of men". Later in Jesus' ministry he commissioned the disciples to be apostles. The word "apostles" comes from the Greek word "apostolos" meaning "meaning ‘one who is sent out with a special commission as a fully authorized representative of the sender, like an ambassador". See below for a listing the twelve original disciples of Jesus Christ to include the meaning of their name, relationships, and previous job occupation.
Jesus and the Twelve Disciples - Last Supper
2. John. Meaning of Name and Relationships: John means "God is gracious"; son of Zebedee and brother of James (Matthew 4:21). Occupation: Fisherman (Mark 1:19).
3. James. Meaning of Name and Relationships: Greek – Andreas, meaning "Manly", man; son of Zebedee and brother of John (Matthew 4:21). Occupation: Fisherman (Luke 5:1-11).
4. Andrew. Meaning of Name and Relationships: Greek Iakobos – the English word for Jacob meaning Israel or He Who Supplants His Brother; brother of Simon and disciple of John (John 1:40). Occupation: Fisherman (Matthew 4:18).
5. Philip. Meaning of Name and Relationships: Philippos, meaning "Lover of horses"; was of Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter (John 1:44). Occupation: Unknown, was in Galilee when Jesus found him (John 1:43).
6. Bartholomew. Meaning of Name and Relationships: bartholomaios meaning "Son of Talmai"; many scholars believe that Bartholomew is also know as Nathanael, a friend of Philip (John 1:45). Occupation: Unknown, was in Galilee when he met Jesus (John 1:47).
7. Thomas. Meaning of Name and Relationships: Thomas from Aramaic – te’oma meaning "twin". Occupation: Unknown; best known for doubting the resurrection of Jesus until he could see and touch the wounds of the living Jesus (John 20:24-29).
9. James. Meaning of Name and Relationships: son of Alphaeus (Matthew 10:3). Occupation: Unknown.
12. Judas Iscariot. Meaning of Name and Relationships: "Iscariot" is from the Hebrew word "Ish Kerioth" meaning "a man from Kerioth". Occupation: Unknown; best known for betraying Jesus (Matthew 26:20-25).
Ref. Bible List of Disciples of Jesus: Jesus’ Disciples Names: List, Meaning and Occupation from BibleSEO; The Twelve Disciples of Jesus from EmbraceHisGrace.com.
- 35 Doctrines From Isaiah 52-53
- Apostles' Creed References
- Being Thankful List
- Bible in Fifty Words
- Blessings of Believing
- Characteristics of a Father
- Characteristics of Giving
- Characteristics of God's Divine Nature
- Characteristics of Human Nature
- Christian To Do List
- Christian Values
- Christian Virtues
- Christian Rituals & Practices
- Deuteronomy Laws
- Eleven Ways To Pray For Children
- Four Reasons For Giving to Church
- Four Reasons for Tithes & Offerings
- Four Things About Giving
- Laws of Sowing and Reaping
- Miracles of Jesus
- Miracles of Old Testament
- Moses' Excuses For Denying His Calling
- Names of Jehovah
- Names of Jesus
- Nine Fold Fruit of the Spirit
- Parable of Jesus
- People Raised From the Dead
- Revealed Mysteries
- Seven "I AM" Statements of Jesus
- Seven Stages of Christian Growth
- Signs of End Times
- Ten Commandments
- Ten Ways To Love
- Three Types of Death
- Twelve Disciples of Jesus
- What Jesus Said on the Cross