Bible History Summary of the Birth of Jesus. The angel Gabriel revealed to Mary the circumstances of the birth of Jesus. The angel of the Lord revealed to Joseph the circumstances of Mary being with child. Jesus is born in Bethlehem and the shepherds receive great tidings of joy concerning the birth. Jesus is circumcised and soon blessed by Simeon in Jerusalem. The wise men come from the east and bring gifts to the baby Jesus in Bethlehem. An angel tells Joseph to flee with his family to Egypt. King Herod perceives the baby Jesus as a threat and orders the killing of all children in Bethlehem who are two years and younger. See below for scriptures and the Bible history of the birth of Jesus, the Messiah.
1. The Annunciation: Revelation to Mary Regarding the Birth of Jesus. The angel Gabriel came to Mary, a virgin, who was betrothed to Joseph. Gabriel told her she would bring forth a son named Jesus. He shall be called the Son of the Highest and his kingdom shall have no end. The Holy Ghost shall come upon you, and that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. Scripture: Luke 1:26-38.
2. Revelation to Joseph Regarding the Birth of Jesus. Mary was found with child before being with her fiance, Joseph. Joseph was to put her away privately, but the angel of the Lord appeared to him. The angel told Joseph that which is conceived in the virgin Mary is of the Holy Ghost. You shall call him Jesus who shall save his people from their sins just as the prophet had foretold. Joseph rose from his sleep and took Mary as his wife as the angel had commanded him. Scripture: Matthew 1:18-25.
3. The Nativity: The Birth of Jesus. All went to be taxed in their own city. Joseph and Mary, great with child, went from the city of Nazareth to the city of Bethlehem to be taxed. Being no room at the inn, Mary gave birth and then laid her son in a manger. Scripture: Luke 2:1-7.
4. The Shepherds Receive Good Tidings of Great Joy. The angel of the Lord came to nearby shepherds announcing good tidings of great joy. A Savior is born who is Christ the Lord. The angel left and the shepherd went down to Bethlehem to see the child. They found Mary and Joseph with the babe lying in a manger. They rejoiced. Scripture: Luke 2:8-20.
5. Jesus is Circumcised and Blessed. Eight days after his birth, Jesus was circumcised. After the days of Mary’s purification, they brought Jesus to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord. Simeon was there who the Holy Ghost had revealed that he would see the Lord’s Christ before he died. Simeon took the child Jesus into his arms and blessed God for his eyes had seen thy salvation. Simeon blessed them. Anna, a prophetess, gave thanks likewise unto the Lord. Scripture: Luke 2:21-38.
6. Visit of the Wise Men. Wise men following a star came from the east to Jerusalem. They asked where is he that is born King of the Jews. King Herod heard these things and was troubled and asked where would the Christ be born. The chief priests and scribes told him, Bethlehem of Judaea. King Herod asked the wise men to tell him if they found the young child. The wise men followed the star till it came and stood over where the young child was. They rejoiced and worshiped him. They presented gifts: gold, frankincense, and myrrh. God warned them not to return to Herod, and they departed for their country (). Scripture: Matthew 2:1.
7. Flight to Egypt and The Massacre of the Innocents. An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream telling him to flee with the young child and mother to Egypt. Herod seeks to kill the child. They left by night to Egypt. Herod soon realized that the wise men mocked him. He order the killing of all children in Bethlehem and in all the coasts from two years and older. This fulfilled the prophecy of Jeremiah. Scripture: Matthew 2:13-18.