Bible History Summary of John the Baptist. Isaiah foretells of John the Baptist’s ministry in the Old Testament. The Angel Gabrial and then John’s Father Zachariah prophecy that John would make ready a people prepared for the Lord. John begins his ministry in the wilderness telling people to confess their sins, repent, and be baptized. John baptizes Jesus. He tells his disciples that he must decrease so that Jesus may increase. Herod orders John imprisoned and later beheaded for speaking out against Herod marriage to his brother’s wife. See below for scriptures and Bible history of John the Baptist.
John The Baptist
1. Isaiah Foretells the Ministry of John the Baptist. Isaiah prophecies of John the Baptist’s ministry as preparing the way of the Lord. Scripture: Isaiah 40:3, “The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. “
2. The Angel Gabriel Tells Zachariah of the Birth of His Son, John. Zacharias was a priest and his wife Elisabeth was barren and now they were very old. An angel appears before Zacharias and tell him of the birth of his son, John. The angel tells him that is son will have the spirit and power of Elias, and that he will make ready a people prepared for the Lord. Scripture: Luke 1:13, “But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John”.
3. John Leaps in the Wound. The pregnant Mary, mother Jesus and cousin of Elisabeth, visits the pregnant Elisabeth, and John leaps for joy in the wound. Elisabeth is filled with the Holy Ghost. Scripture: Luke 1:39-45.
4. John Circumcised, and Zachariah Prophecies. John is circumcised on the eighth day of his birth and his father prophecies of his son’s ministry. Scriptures: Luke 1:57-80.
5. Preaching and Baptizing in the Wilderness. John preaches repentance in the wilderness. Those who confessed their sins and repented were baptized in the Jordan. John has a garment of camel’s hair, and his food was of locusts and wild honey. Scriptures: Matthew 3:1-6, Mark 1:4-6, Luke 3:2-3, John 1:19-28.
6. John Baptizes Jesus With Water. John baptizes Jesus in the Jordan river. When Jesus came out of the water the heavens open up, the Spirit of God descends like a dove, and God speaks. Scriptures: Matthew 3:13-16, Mark 1:9-12, Luke 3:21-22, John 1:29-34.
7. John Confirms That Jesus is the Messiah. John sends his disciples to Jesus to ask him if he is the one or should they look for another. Jesus confirms by his miracles that he is the one. Scriptures: Luke 7:18-24.
8. John Tells His Disciples That He Must Increase, But I Must Decrease.. John’s disciples see Jesus baptising and they ask John about this. He tells them that he was the friend of the bridegroom and now was the time for him to decrease so Jesus may increase. The Father loves the Son and he who believes in Him will have everlasting life. Scriptures: John 3:22-36.
9. John Beheaded For Speaking Out Against Herod’s Marriage to his Brother’s Wife. Herod had put John the Baptist in prison for speaking out against Herod’s marriage to Herodias. Herodias’ daughter danced before her father and pleased him. He gave his oath to give her whatever she asked. She asked for John the Baptist head. Herod fulfilled his promise and John was beheaded. Scripture: Matthew 14:3-12, Mark 6:16-29.
More on the Life History of John the Baptist: The Decided Life, John Baptist