Bible Summary. The Bible names and bestows hundreds of names and titles on the person of Jesus Christ. In Luke 1:31, the angel Gabriel tells Mary to name her son JESUS. In Matthew 1:21 an angel tells Joseph in a dream to name his son JESUS because “he shall save his people from their sins”.
In Biblical times a person’s name had particular significance in that it embodied the character of person. Additionally, a person’s title is very significant, today and in Biblical times, in that it conveys the authority of the person that bears the title. Jesus’ names and titles are even more significant in that these names identify the character and authority of Jesus Christ, the most important historical figure who walked this earth.
The name of Jesus is also significant in that we as Christian use his name in our petitions to God. John 16:23 says “… Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you”. Jesus in his person and his names gives us the authority and power to bring our petitions to God through faith. See below for a listing of key scriptures containing the names and titles of Jesus.
What Is His Name?
King of Kings
1. Adam, last Adam – 1st Corinthians 15:45, “And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.”
2. Alpha and Omega – Revelation 21:6, “And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely” .
3. Bread of Life – John 6:35, “And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst”.
4. Chief Cornerstone – Ephesians 2:20, “And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;”.
5. Chief Shepherd – 1st Peter 5:4, “And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away”.
6. Firstborn from the Dead – Colossians 1:18, “And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence”.
7. Good Shepherd – John 10:11, “I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep”.
8. Great Shepherd of the Sheep – Hebrews 13:20, “Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant”.
9. High Priest – Hebrews 3:1, “Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;”.
10. Holy One of God – Mark 1:24, “Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God”.
11. Immanuel, God With Us – Matthew 1:23, “Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us” .
12. King of Kings, Lord of Lords – Revelation 19:16, “And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS”.
13. Lamb of God – John 1:29, “The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world”.
14. Light of the World – John 9:5, “As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world”.
15. Lion of Judah – Revelation 5:5, “And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof”.
16. Lord of Glory – 1st Corinthians 2:8, “Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory”.
17. Mediator between God and Men – 1st Timothy 2:5, “For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;”.
18. Only Begotten of the Father – John 1:14, “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth”.
19. Prophet – Acts 3:22, “For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you”.
20. Savior – Luke 1:47, “And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour”.
21. Seed of Abraham – Galatians 3:16, “Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ”.
22. Son of God – Mark 1:11, “The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;”.
23. Son of Man – Matthew 18:11, “For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost” .
24. The Word – John 1:1, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God”.
Ref. Bible List of the Names and Titles of Jesus: Bible Lists & Charts(Part #3) – Titles of Jesus from The Old Time Gospel Ministry.