The Nine-fold Fruit of the Spirit
Galatians 5:22-23. The fruit of the Spirit consist of nine characteristics. These nine characteristics are evidence that the Holy Spirit is working in a person, and that through Jesus, God has made that person righteous. Galatians 5:22-23 says, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.” These characteristics are the result (the fruit) that someone has accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, and that the person has yielded to the Holy Spirit to let sin no longer dominate his or her life. A person cannot achieve the nine-fold fruit of the Spirit unless they accept Jesus' free gift of salvation and yield to the Holy Spirit in their lives. The Nine-Fold Fruit of the Spirit are described as follows:
Words to Live By, Panel: Fruit of the Spirit Art Print
Buy at AllPosters.com
1. Love: “Agape” love is unmerited favor. Love is something to share with everyone. Regardless of relationship, like and dislike, or situation.
2. Joy: Joy is delight in the hope and promises of Jesus Christ. No matter what the circumstances, a person can have joy in the hope of eternal life and being in right standing with God.
3. Peace: – Peace is having eternal security by being in eternal relationship with God because of Jesus' act on the cross.
4. Long-Suffering: Long-suffering is having patient endurance to withstand all of life's trials. Long-suffering is possible because of hope and assurance in God's promises.
5. Gentleness: Gentleness is being kind to others and being unmoved by circumstances. By a person yielding to and being comforted by the Holy Spirit, he or she can be gentle in all situations. Also, see Kindness.
6. Goodness: Goodness is acting like Jesus as He did when He walked on the Earth and doing the things of God. This is a Godly goodness that is defined by God through His Word, the Bible.
7. Faith: Faith is having the hope and assurance in the promises of God. This is a confident and a trust that is not moved by temporary circumstances.
8. Meekness: Meekness is a humility that seeks no revenge. Meekness comes from a person yielding to the Holy Spirit in all circumstances. It is a state of mind where God comes first, and self comes last.
9. Temperance: Temperance is self-control. With the Holy Spirit in a person, they have a higher purpose to serve God. Fleshly desires are secondary to serving God in all things.
GALATIANS 5 BIBLES SCRIPTURE Galatians 5:22-23, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.”
More on Self-Control
More on Patience
More on Love
- Compassion Definition
- God is Love
- Illustration: Love Your Neighbor
- Illustration: Unconditional Love
- Leah's Labors of Love
- Love, a Fruit of the Spirit
- Love and Marriage
- Lust Versus Love
- Mother's Love
- Relationships and Good Works
- Ten Ways To Love
- What the Bible Says Love Is
- What is Marriage?
- What is Love?
- What is True Love?
More on Happiness
More on Faith
- 35 Doctrines From Isaiah 52-53
- Apostles' Creed References
- Being Thankful List
- Bible in Fifty Words
- Blessings of Believing
- Characteristics of a Father
- Characteristics of Giving
- Characteristics of God's Divine Nature
- Characteristics of Human Nature
- Christian To Do List
- Christian Values
- Christian Virtues
- Christian Rituals & Practices
- Deuteronomy Laws
- Eleven Ways To Pray For Children
- Four Reasons For Giving to Church
- Four Reasons for Tithes & Offerings
- Four Things About Giving
- Laws of Sowing and Reaping
- Miracles of Jesus
- Miracles of Old Testament
- Moses' Excuses For Denying His Calling
- Names of Jehovah
- Names of Jesus
- Nine Fold Fruit of the Spirit
- Parable of Jesus
- People Raised From the Dead
- Revealed Mysteries
- Seven "I AM" Statements of Jesus
- Seven Stages of Christian Growth
- Signs of End Times
- Ten Commandments
- Ten Ways To Love
- Three Types of Death
- Twelve Disciples of Jesus
- What Jesus Said on the Cross